Sunday, October 16, 2011

Thread Play quilting class fun

This weekend I spent at the quilt store on the south end of Edmonton called Earthly Goods. I was very lucky enough to be able to attend a weekend long quilting class called Thread Play taught by Lois. I have been to quite a few retreats now, but never an actual class. 
I really enjoyed myself and we did a lot of what the class was titled - Play! I do not have pictures of everything yet as I forgot to take my camera in today, but here are some pictures of what we did Friday night and then on Saturday. 
We learned on the first day about stabilizers and how and when you would use a hoop.
This is more of our free motion stitching practises with a hoop and stabilizer. We practised doing an outline and then filling it in making sure to stitch into the outline.
That practise was for this! Cool huh??

You make these neat "applique" pieces with using Sulky Solvy. At first I thought it was pretty cool, but when would I ever use it? Then the wheels really started turning and I have thought of a trillion different art quilts I could use this for. The best part is you can buy this stuff by the meter and its not expensive! JOY


This is from the second day - so was the Silky Solvy stuff I just showed you -  here we talked and learned how to do blending.
For what we did for the rest of the weekend, you will have to wait as I have officially bonded with the couch and am not getting up to take more pictures. hee hee.


After I got home from class today, I fed my fur babies and then ran to the grocery store to get myself some healthy things to eat as Mr. Hunter is not here I do not have to listen to complaints about my carrot sticks and tofu! If he had his way, the only food in the house we would have would be chips and cookies - but that is a whole other blog post! HA HA
No, I went on this tangent because I wanted to show you what happened when I got home. With my hands full, trying to get in the door with my veggies, I had a little mishap. I did not realize it until I pulled my key out, but look:
Can't you see the issue? hee hee, Check out the next picture, you will see!
Eek!! I bent my key.

 I think the rest of the keys got caught on the jam when I was unlocking the bottom door lock and  then pushing the door open? Not sure, but it is bent pretty good. I was going to bend it back, but there are what looks like cracks on it where it bent. If I bend it back and it breaks - I will be locked out or in depending on the case I suppose. Mr Hunter is in Winnipeg until Tuesday night so I will just have to be careful. We have a spare, but I do not have a clue as to where it is. 
So that is my story for today. What did you do this weekend?
Cheers,
Carolyn

8 comments:

  1. The thread class looks like it was a lot of fun. You certainly covered a bunch of different topics. Did you find it tiring to go to class 3 days in a row?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. . . . You've got to baby that key along!

    Your class looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That class looks like it was amazing - What a wonderful set of new techniques! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic class!!! I would love to learn those techniques, especially the last one. Thanks so much for sharing. Sure hope you found your spare key.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thread play class looks and sounds wonderful. What fun you will have!!!!

    Poor key. I do hope it doesn't completely break. Maybe a key guy can make a new one before it breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I posted - but it didn't take. So here I go again. Your thread projects are really cool! I wish I could take a class too. Maybe someday. As for that key - I sure hope by now you have replaced it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great class. Hope you don't end up locked out. I've broken a couple that way. Thankfully the end didn't get stuck in the lock. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete