Tuesday, October 18, 2011

More Thread Play class pictures

I finally took pictures of the rest of my class projects. 
Here they are:
I made this neat Christmas ball on Polyester Organza with Sulky Solvy as my stabilizer.

Here I played  with different stitches to applique - with raw edge pieces.  We used an iron on adhesive called Wonder, I had never used it before, but I really liked how well the paper came off - after I discovered I have to press it for a good 10 Mississippi's! 

I played with metallic threads. Those are the beezeneeze let me tell you! I love metallics. I never used them for fear of them breaking all the time and giving me a headache. I only had it break once, and I was probably doing something stupid - like threading the needle without releasing the tension with the presser foot.

This was so cool! We used a really thick thread in our bobbins - there is no way this would fit in a needle - to see what it would do. I cannot wait to find more of this and play more. I love the texture - and of course my thread was shiny so I was extremely pleased. ha ha 

Here we played with couching. 

And here is the flower I had worked on the day before. It is still not done - but its pretty close I think. I had to steal the hoop to make my Christmas ball or else I would not have taken it out until it was done. You can see the wrinkles - this is because I did not use a stabilizer. If I had pressed it immediately with the iron when taking it out of the hoop, I could have lessened it. Oh well, live and learn right? Right!
And lastly - here is what I bought. I tried to not buy anything - but really, I was surrounded by great fabrics and a ton of cool tools, how could I not buy anything!
I have not used this yet, but I think I was the only person in the class to not have it already.  It is a special pressing sheet (sorry I know you can read), that prevents any applique adhesives from sticking to your iron or your ironing board. Cool huh?

Then I bought these delicious fabrics! The Christmas balls in the fabric above is what inspired me to make my Christmas ball in the first picture.
Other things I bought but that are not pictured here are some metallic threads, some Sewers Ease (I think that is what it was called - to prevent old threads or metallics from breaking) and this neat Iron Cleaner Solution. OH and I bought two meters of that awesome Sulky Solvy! I have a plan for it - you will see, I will share soon - Hopefully this weekend.
Cheers,
Carolyn

4 comments:

  1. These are really amazing. You did a great job. It's so worth it to take a class and learn all the secrets and niffy tools. I haven't heard of Sewers Ease before. My metallics always break. So discouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I love seeing what you played with during your class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun class! I love my Applique Pressing Sheet. Although I understand they now make an even larger size that I'll have to be on the lookout for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well these are cool -- I love thread work. That cat fabric in the last pic is just excellent! Can't wait to see what you do with that.

    ReplyDelete