Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lime Fish Tacos

I made fish tacos the other week, and they were fast and tasty. Again, this recipe came from AllRecipes. You can go there directly by clicking here.

Here is the original recipe and below are my notes on what I did a little different.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound red snapper or orange roughy fillets
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 7 teaspoons lime juice, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 2 tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
  • 1 dash hot pepper sauce
  • 7 (8 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup shredded lettuce
  • 1 cup chopped fresh tomato

Directions

  1. Remove skin from fish and cut fish into 1-in. cubes. In a nonstick skillet, saute garlic in butter and 5 teaspoons lime juice for 30 seconds. Add fish and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes over medium heat until fish flakes easily with a fork.
  2. Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, hot pepper sauce and remaining lime juice. Place as spoonful of fish on each tortilla. Top each with lettuce, tomato and sour cream sauce; fold over.

Footnotes

  • Nutritional Analysis: One taco equals 238 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 366 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat.

    **Notes - What I did differently:
    - I did not use hot pepper sauce - Instead I used a pinch of Cayenne pepper for the sauce.
    - Accidentally, I missed adding the pepper to the cooking of the fish - I used red snapper, and I think the pepper would have made it even better.  I also used three cloves - not one. I as well used the juice from a fresh lime, I do not know if it equated to 7 tsp. 
    - I am not a lettuce fan so we used spinach and we added cilantro. 
    If you make these, let me know what you think of them. The one thing I especially liked was that the flavors were not complicated - you were tasting the ingredients of the fish, the lime and the cilantro - not just all the spices.
    Cheers,
    Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I would like to make these but substitute shrimp for the fish. (Cause I have shrimp at home and not the fish.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda's idea of shrimp is intriguing....LOL
    These sound delicious, but I am not a good fish cook....does the fish have a tendency to fall apart, or to stick? Oh, wait, do you use a non-stick pan? I don't have one - I use stainless or cast iron. I bet that would make a difference! :)

    ReplyDelete